The Mystery

The Mystery
An unfinished Comedy.

Dedication.
To the Revd George Austen

Sir,
I humbly solicit your Patronage to the following Comedy, which tho' an unfinished one, is I flatter myself as complete a Mystery as any of its kind.
I am Sir your most Humble
           Servant
           The Author.




The Mystery
A Comedy.


Dramatis Personae
           Men.
Colonel Elliott
Sir Edward Spangle
Old Humbug
Youg Humbug
           and
Corydon

           Women.
Fanny Elliott
Mrs Humbug
           and
Daphne




Act the First
Scene the 1st

A Garden.

Enter Corydon.

Cory.) But Hush! I am interrupted.
(Exit Corydon.)  
Enter Old Humbug and his Son, talking.

Old Hum:) It is for that reason I wish you to follow my advice. Are you convinced of its propriety?
Young Hum:) I am, Sir, and will certainly act in the manner you have pointed out to me.
Old Hum:) Then let us return to the House.
(Exeunt)
Scene the 2nd

A Parlour in Humbug's House.
Mrs Humbug and Fanny, discovered at work.

Mrs Hum:) You understand me, my Love?
Fanny) Perfectly ma'm. Pray continue your narration.
Mrs Hum:) Alas! it is nearly concluded, for I have nothing more to say on the Subject.
Fanny) Ah! here's Daphne.
Enter Daphne.
Daphne) My dear Mrs Humbug, how d'ye do? Oh! Fanny, 'tis all over.
Fanny) It is indeed!
Mrs Hum:) I'm very sorry to hear it.
Fanny) Then t'was to no purpose that I....
Daphne) None upon Earth.
Mrs Hum:) And what is to become of?.....
Daphne) Oh! that's all settled. (whispers Mrs Humbug)
Fanny) And how is it determined?
Daphne. I'Il tell you. (whispers Fanny)
Mrs Hum:) And is he to?...
Daphne) I'll tell you all I know of the matter.
(whispers Mrs Humbug and Fanny)
Fanny) Well! now I know everything about it, I'll go away.
Mrs Hum:
                           And so will I.
Daphne
(Exeunt)
Scene the 3d

The Curtain rises and discovers Sir Edward Spangle reclined in an elegant Attitude on a Sofa, fast asleep.

Enter Colonel Elliott.

Colonel) My Daughter is not here I see... there lies Sir Edward... Shall I tell him the secret?... No, he'll certainly blab it... But he is asleep and wont hear me.... So I'll e'en venture.
(Goes up to Sir Edward, whispers him, and Exit)
End of the 1st Act.
F I N I S.

Welcome to For Pride and Prejudice

For Pride and Prejudice is a resourceful tool for avid readers to submerge themselves into the realm of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudi...